Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Maundy Thursday - April 17, 2014

John 13:1-17, 31b-35

               Someone I know once pointed out that there’s a built-in conflict when friends stay with one another.  It’s the duty of the host or hostess to do everything they can to make the guest comfortable.  It’s the duty of the guest to make sure that they don’t put their hosts out too much. That's sort of what's happening between Jesus and Peter in this section of  John's gospel.

And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus answered, “You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand.” Peter said to him, “You will never wash my feet.” Jesus answered, “Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.”
                                                                    [John 13:2-8]

Admittedly, Jesus was trying to demonstrate the spirit of humble servanthood to his disciples, because this sort of work was considered far from honorable, far beneath a great teacher or prophet.  There's more to it, though, if you look at things from Peter’s perspective.  It isn’t just a matter of Jesus’ willingness to serve.  It's also about our openness to receiving what Jesus offers us.

               Human beings both desire and resist love.  We like to think that when we find it, we value it above all else, but when push comes to shove, we have our limits.  In 1981, Hall and Oates had a hit song that was painfully honest.

“Yeah, I I-I, I’ll do anything
That you want me to do.
Yeah, I, I-I, I’ll do almost anything
That you want me to, ooh,
Yeah.

But I can’t go for that.
(No.)
No can do.
I can’t go for that, nooo.
(No.)
No can do.
I can’t go for that,
Can’t go for that,
Can’t go for that,
Can’t go for that.”

Now, I’m not putting Hall and Oates on the same level as the apostle John, but we do treat God with the same mix of wholeheartedness and distance.

               Peter’s first response to Jesus’ offer is to hold him at arm’s length.  It isn’t that he doesn’t understand what Jesus was doing, but that he understood it too well.  He cared for and honored Jesus, and did not want to presume on his deep friendship.  Jesus wanted to show his care, but Peter didn’t want him to have to do that.  It almost seems like he was embarrassed. 

“Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” [John 13:7]

Jesus was pushing the limits, and Peter would have none of it.

               God’s love in Christ goes well beyond the formalities, though, and maybe that’s what Peter found threatening but that Jesus insisted on.

"Peter said to him, 'You will never wash my feet.' Jesus answered, 'Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.'” [John 13:8]

There’s a challenge in that.  Can Peter – can any of us – let ourselves be loved by God so completely that we are loved from head to foot, inside and out?  Do we believe, and rejoice to know, that he loves even the ugly, difficult, parts of us?  Do we believe that he takes us, just as we are?  I cannot answer that for you.  Only you can answer for yourself.

               This I can tell you, though, Jesus loves us totally, with a love that transforms the bad part.  When Peter gets it, that Jesus is willing to wash his stinky, dirty feet, in fact that Jesus' love is an all-or-nothing sort of love, his response is to go for "all".

               It was a good thing he did, because his weak side would be on display that very night, when he followed Jesus after his arrest and waited in the courtyard of the house where he was being tried.  Mind you, Peter had gone further with Jesus than most.  But when he was asked if he knew him, three times, he said, “No.”  He had boasted at one point, at least as Matthew tells it,

“Though all become deserters because of you, I will never desert you.” [Matthew 26:33]

Others would show courage that he only thought he had.  As for Peter, when he realized his boasting had been empty, it broke him.  Peter, the Rock, wasn't so solid after all.

               But Jesus loved him, loves us all, to the end, even his enemies.  That is the kind of love that he offers.  After his resurrection, the first words that Jesus spoke to Peter was a question that would re-establish the connection between them:

“Simon, son of John, do you love me?” [John 21:16]

He could ask that of someone who had said he didn’t have anything to do with him.  It had hurt, but it did not destroy, the tie between them.  He’s like that.

               On this night when we remember what Jesus knew would be his last meal, we remember that the people he chose to share it with were people like Peter, and even Judas.  The people he continues to share this holy meal with are people like us, who probably are not all that different from them.  The love that he offered then is the love that he offers now; the forgiveness of sin, the same; the call for singleness of heart, the same; the grace and care just as unfailing now as then.  

“'Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.' …
'Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!'” 

                                                                    [John 13:8-9]

No comments:

Post a Comment