Saturday, July 12, 2014

"Zucchini" - July 13, 2014

Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23


            I planted a plot of vegetables in the community garden out back of the church this year.  It’s doing alright, and I’m not complaining, but Tom and Kirtus and Connie and AnnJoyce have done better.  Not that it’s a competition.  I barely notice how a certain person’s beans have grown full and leafy or how someone else has done a great job staking up their vine crops.  Okay, I admit that it can be a little embarrassing at times.  But – hey, there’s always zucchini.

            I started my own bean plants inside in April.  They did really well; too well.  Some of them were six to nine inches high and we were still getting frost some nights.  The first day that it looked good to do it, I went outside and dug the ground and put them in.  Two days later we had heavy rain and three days later they were gone, washed out.  Fortunately, I had planned ahead.  I had a second flat of bean plants that were two weeks behind, along with some zucchini seedlings.  I waited for the ground to dry out a little bit and the following week I stuck those in.   Two days later the rabbits had eaten the new set of beans.  At least they left the zucchini.

            I realized that could happen again.  I have heard that if you plant onions around the edge of a garden, it helps keep the rabbits out.  I also noticed that there was a lot of onion grass growing there already, so I figured the soil would be good for the real thing.  I knew it was late in the season to plant onions.  Onions go in on St. Patrick’s Day.  All the same, I dug all the way around the garden and put in white and red onions (for variety) and gave it another two weeks. 

Then, since the United Methodist Women had their plant sale going on, I took my coupons up to the nursery and bought some healthy bean plants, which planted, surrounded by onions.  Not long after that I discovered that maybe rabbits hate onions, but squirrels or some other creature around here loves them.  I also learned that the folks who mow the lawn don’t know the difference between onion grass and onions.  So no beans this year, and only a few onions.  On the other hand, nothing has touched the zucchini.

            Since then I’ve added a lot of other vegetables, but right about the time I did that, things got a little bit crazy.  It rained a lot in May, generally on the days when I would have had time to weed a lot more.  On the days when it was beautiful, I was tied up.  Eventually came the day when I got out there and found myself pushing undergrowth aside and muttering, “I know there are peppers here somewhere.”

            So this morning I hear the words of Jesus, and my heart goes out to the farmer in his story.  Poor guy!  If my eggplant shrivels up and my cucumbers do nothing and the sweet potatoes just grow leaves aboveground and no roots below, I’ll live.  Hey, there’s always plenty of zucchini.  The man in the parable is someone who lives on what he plants.  It matters greatly to him.  It matters to him that

“as he sowed, some seeds fell on the path, and the birds came and ate them up.[Matthew 13:4]

It makes a big difference to him that

“Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and they sprang up quickly, since they had no depth of soil. But when the sun rose, they were scorched; and since they had no root, they withered away.” [Matthew 13:5-6]

He would have been worried because

“Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them.” [Matthew 13:7]

He would have been incredibly relieved, even joyful, that

“Other seeds fell on good soil and brought forth grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.” [Matthew 13:8]

It would have meant everything to him.  Therein lies the heart-wrenching aspect of this parable.

            In practical terms, we all know what happens to people’s spiritual lives, and the parable is descriptive.

“When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what is sown in the heart; this is what was sown on the path. As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; yet such a person has no root, but endures only for a while, and when trouble or persecution arises on account of the word, that person immediately falls away. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the lure of wealth choke the word, and it yields nothing. But as for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.” [Matthew 13:19-23]

We all have seen people whose lives fit each of those descriptions.  Maybe we’ve seen them in the mirror.  But what about the One who gives life in the first place, and who watches what happens not just to one person or to a family or a local church or a people as life unfolds and as time rolls onward?  What about the gardener who does not have the heart to shrug and to be content with the zucchini (which we all know can yield a hundredfold or sixty or thirty)?  What about God?

            Somehow, the sower goes on planting, and never gives up the way that we do.  Somehow, God goes on, scattering seeds of faith in all kinds of soil.  Somehow, God continually reaches out to people in all kinds of situations and with all kinds of personalities and with all sorts of lives, because it is his nature never, ever to give up on us.  Does that make sense?  No.  That’s why I’m so thankful about it.  Isaiah said,

“Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near; let the wicked forsake their way, and the unrighteous their thoughts; let them return to the Lord, that he may have mercy on them, and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there until they have watered the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and succeed in the thing for which I sent it. For you shall go out in joy, and be led back in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall burst into song, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Instead of the thorn shall come up the cypress; instead of the brier shall come up the myrtle; and it shall be to the Lord for a memorial, for an everlasting sign that shall not be cut off.”  [Isaiah 56:6-13]


Meanwhile, thank the Lord of all for zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment