Saturday, February 7, 2015

"All Things to All People" - February 8, 2015

I Corinthians 9:16-23


            In preparing this sermon, I googled “All things to all people” and found that unless someone was directly quoting I Corinthians, it invariably came up as the saying, “You cannot be all things to all people.”  The apostle Paul, of course, was saying that he had done exactly that.  I think that what has happened is that the phrase has stuck in people’s heads and has been taken in an unintended way that is totally unrelated and out of context.

            When people say, “You cannot be all things to all people,” they are generally warning against the idea that you can ever meet all the expectations that everyone may put onto you.  A few years back, a friend of mine wrote a song called, “I Want a Martha Stewart Life”.  I don’t remember all the lyrics, but part of it went:

“At Christmastime my home will be
Decked out with evergreens.
I’ll design and build a tasty
Gingerbread nativity scene.

I’ll trim the tree, nog the eggs,
Bake cookies by the score.
Forget the baby Jesus –
I’m the one they’ll adore.

The lights will dim, the music swell,
My guests will drink my health
While I premier in ‘The Nutcracker’,
Dancing every role myself.” [1]

That nails it.  “I’m the one they’ll adore.”  The desire to be appreciated and applauded, the search for fame or glory, the need for attention and approval – those lie at the heart of trying, as the phrase is generally used, to be all things to all people. 

            Henri Nouwen was a Dutch priest who taught theology at Yale and wrote a long list of books about spiritual growth and the inner life.  He did that against the backdrop of being in great demand because he was so effective as a writer and teacher.  A big part of his effectiveness arose from his brutal honesty about himself, and his willingness to describe the sort of temptations that come along, including the one to be (in the misunderstood sense) all things to all people.  He wrote:

“Aren't you, like me, hoping that some person, thing, or event will come along to give you that final feeling of inner well-being you desire? Don't you often hope: 'May this book, idea, course, trip, job, country or relationship fulfill my deepest desire.' But as long as you are waiting for that mysterious moment you will go on running helter-skelter, always anxious and restless, always lustful and angry, never fully satisfied. You know that this is the compulsiveness that keeps us going and busy, but at the same time makes us wonder whether we are getting anywhere in the long run. This is the way to spiritual exhaustion and burn-out. This is the way to spiritual death.”[2]

Nouwen, at the peak of his academic career and literary success, and went to live near Toronto as part of a residential community where physically and mentally disabled people and those with fuller ability lived together.  It was a huge challenge that sent him briefly into a depression because he discovered that in that place his credentials and vocabulary and reputation meant nothing.

            It was also where he discovered the truth of the things he had been saying – and here is where the proper understanding of “all things to all people” comes into play.  He found that

“Compassion asks us to go where it hurts, to enter into the places of pain, to share in brokenness, fear, confusion, and anguish. Compassion challenges us to cry out with those in misery, to mourn with those who are lonely, to weep with those in tears. Compassion requires us to be weak with the weak, vulnerable with the vulnerable, and powerless with the powerless. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human.” [3]

That is what the apostle Paul had done, and what he was inviting other disciples of Jesus to do.  He wasn’t advising anybody to become some sort of social chameleon who blends into every setting.  He was talking about making the effort to understand who people really and truly are, so that the grace of God that we have known in our own lives can flow through us into theirs, and do that in an honest way that is the work of the Holy Spirit and not one more human effort to score some kind of points.

“For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.” [I Corinthians 9:19-23]

Before you or I dare to comment on someone else’s life like some talking head on Fox News or CNN, we had better understand who that person is, what their experience has been, and at least make an effort to consider what it is like to be them.  The heart of real evangelism is there.  That is where we discover and reveal that we ourselves are not so different.  Again, here’s Nouwen:

“Hospitality is not to change people, but to offer them space where change can take place. It is not to bring men and women over to our side, but to offer freedom not disturbed by dividing lines. It is not to lead our neighbor into a corner where there are no alternatives left, but to open a wide spectrum of options for choice and commitment. It is not an educated intimidation with good books, good stories, and good works, but the liberation of fearful hearts so that words can find roots and bear ample fruit….The paradox of hospitality is that it wants to create emptiness, not a fearful emptiness, but a friendly emptiness where strangers can enter and discover themselves as created free….not a subtle invitation to adopt the life style of the host, but the gift of a chance for the guest to find his own.”[4]

Paul learned that when he found himself, a devout Jew, living among Greek-speaking, pork-eating, Sabbath-working gentiles whom God was calling as certainly as he had been called.  Henri Nouwen learned that when he was an intellectual living and working among people who lacked the capacity to bathe themselves properly, let alone read long commentaries on the life of prayer, yet who often had a richer prayer life than his own.

            We ourselves live among people who may have no vocabulary of faith, no storehouse of Bible verses, no familiar hymns in the back of their heads, and yet they may very well have a full sense of right and wrong, hearts that can sense when love and caring are genuine, and souls that are open to the actions of the Holy Spirit.  The great secret to reaching all of them, and to connecting at that point of faith, to becoming all things to all people in the right way, is to be yourself because we all are, despite our many real and serious differences, at the point of deepest human life, pretty much the same, and all open to the grace of God in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment