Saturday, May 14, 2016

“Children of God” - May 15, 2016 (Pentecost)




Romans 8:14-17



            Most of the time, when I think about what it means to be a child of God, I think about what that means for me.  What does it tell me that God has reached out to call me his own?  What does that mean for you, that he has freely called you to be part of his family?  What effect does it have on the way we view and treat one another?

            All of that matters.  However, it leaves out the central person concerned.  What does it tell us about God?

            Adoption is an act taken by a parent, not by a child.  Nobody can forcibly become a mother or father that way.  It’s not like anybody runs up to them on the street and shoves a baby in a blanket into their arms.  Even in cases where a child is suddenly discovered to need care, as when biological parents die or become desperately ill, or are overtaken by some kind of tragedy, someone might foster a child for a period without adopting her and making that sort of permanent commitment that says, “Daughter!” or “Son!”

            Hear the experience of a Lutheran pastor, Walter Wangerin, who wrote to his son Matthew the evening before Matthew’s confirmation.

“I first saw you in a crib – thick neck, enormous eyes, compact brown energy, fine amber hair, and I thought, ‘Can I love this one?’ …

Here is the miracle: my love for you came out of you!  You came with printed directions.  You trained me. …
At first it was a foolish love aggressive, fierce, protective.  When we carried you to the grocery stores, we gathered the stares of the people.  Our family was a riddle they couldn’t solve.  My ears would burn at their ill restraint; I’d grab you to my heart and stare back to shame their eyes.  My face said, ‘Mine!  He’s mine, you little minds!”  And so you were.

There was a neighbor, in those early days, who said that you couldn’t play with her daughter.  She’d seen the two of you holding hands, and she said, ‘Black and white don’t marry.’  Nip it, I suppose, in the bud; you were four years old.  I sat in that woman’s kitchen and in a low, choked voice declared you were my son and she should think of me precisely as she thought of you. …

But the second miracle and the second source of my love for you was the marvelous, holy, and indestructible, the greatest of them all.  I came to understand, through the years, that it is in the very image of adoption, and thus divine, that God participates -- …

And quietly I understood: in fact, God is your father, and a better one than I.  But God and I both became your fathers in exactly the same way.  Matthew, God also adopted you!  You were not born his son, either.  It was something that he chose to do for you.  But his adoption contains a love unspeakably sweet and powerful, far beyond my poor, fumbling efforts.  …

Oh, my adopted son!  My love for you and my fatherhood both I hide completely in the remarkable love and fatherhood of God for you.  There is where this wonder comes from.  He patterns and empowers it.  For a little while he allows me to experience the self-same joy that he has loving you.  For a little while he lets me be your father – just like him. …

Who says that adoption makes a lesser relationship than blood or the will of the flesh?  Let him contend with the Almighty!  And let him be ashamed.”[1]

            Confirmation is a public recognition of what God has already done, taking us in even as unformed, unaware, helpless babies – or sometimes as overly experienced, self-conscious adults who cannot let go of the control we think we have over life – and naming us as part of his family, someone with whom he chooses to throw in his lot, someone whose sorrows and joys and struggles he will share, and from whom he can never fully separate himself.  God has called us by name.

            And we reply with baby talk, maybe – “Abba!” is the ancient Aramaic word for “Daddy” – but we reply with a recognition of the love that has gone into the relationship before our own.  We reply with a recognition that God imparts a family resemblance to us that allows us to show others what he is like by what he does with us.  That’s a tall order for people like you and me.  Thank God that it doesn’t depend on us, but on him.  So leave the judgment and the fear and all of that behind, and live as the amazing person God knows that you are, even when you don’t see it in yourself.

“For you did not receive a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received a spirit of adoption. When we cry, ‘Abba! Father!’ it is that very Spirit bearing witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs, heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ…” [Romans 8:15-17]

Amen.






[1] Walter Wangerin, “To Matthew, at Confirmation” in Ragman and Other Cries of Faith (New York: Harper & Row, 1984), 116-119.

No comments:

Post a Comment