Saturday, April 4, 2015

"Jesus: The Lord" - April 5, 2015 (Easter)


John 20:1-18


            We had to memorize a poem in fifth grade that was probably one of the least appropriate for anyone that age.  When you’re in fifth grade, you are told what to eat and when.  You’re told when you need to be in bed and when to get up.  Sometimes you are directed what clothes to wear.  Often you are told what you will or will not like.  Fifth graders used to have their handwriting corrected on a regular basis, not only their spelling.  Just ask them about it.  They have to answer.  They have no choice.  Anyway, Mrs. Boyer’s fifth-grade class at Sabold Elementary School were required to learn and recite perfectly the following poem.

“Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance,
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll:
I am the master of my fate:
I am captain of my soul.”[1]

“Very good, Tommy!  Good job, Suzy!  Now finish your sandwiches and run out to recess.”

            I would like to think that we achieve mastery of more as we grow older.  In fact, we have more choice and more competence.  I’m not sure we really have more control, though.  Again, think of the areas where you might be called the one in charge. 

Dog owners used to be called their “masters”.  I’m glad we’ve gotten away from that, not least because anybody who has a dog knows it isn’t true.  Even the best-trained dog does not always do as told, and a puppy is sure to learn very early that little trick of responding to her name and running up just close enough for the human to lean over and then darting out of reach – again and again and again.  I won’t even suggest what a cat owner goes through. 

What about machines?  Don’t they always do what they are built to do?  When you turn the key in the ignition, doesn’t your car always start?  When you turn on your computer, doesn’t it always open right up, and doesn’t your browser always go directly to the address you type in?

Maybe I might at least be master of my own words.  Maybe I may never speak too soon or use the wrong expression.  Maybe I will never let anger draw something out of my mouth that I will regret later.  Maybe I will never tell a joke that will be taken the wrong way.  Even better, maybe I will always know exactly what to say when someone is hurting or grieving or scared.

Forget the notion of being in control of my thoughts.  Have you never been in a situation where you saw something as funny and couldn’t keep from giggling?  It was always fun to watch the old Carol Burnett Show because Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were always making each other crack up and you could watch them struggling to go on with a sketch once the laughter began to build up.  They just couldn’t help it.

            The point I’m trying to make in all of this is that there isn’t much that we truly control.  There is little that we could be said to master.  There is even less of which we could be said to be “lord”.

            Jesus’ experience was no different.  His life began when he was born in a stable because there was no room for his parents in the inn.  By the time he was two, King Herod was trying to kill him and his family was forced to become refugees in Egypt, and could only return when Herod died.  Then that Herod was followed by another, and when he finally got hold of Jesus (who had been confronting the ugly ways that Herod had been exerting power to control the people), Herod got together with the Romans (who were manipulating Herod in their own ways) and they had Jesus tortured and executed.  Could Jesus have escaped all this?  Yes, he could have.  He said,

“For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life in order to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it up again. I have received this command from my Father.” [John 10:17-18]

Despite having the power to avoid the powerlessness that we go through, and the troubles that come with it, he chose to remain in complete and utter solidarity with us.  He was like the captain who chooses to remain on the sinking ship so that the passengers can escape, even though he will go down to the depths in their place.  In the moment that he did that, he alone of all human beings really and truly became “master of his fate” and “captain of his soul”.  In that moment it became clear that he really and truly could be called, “Lord”.

            Three days later, the full meaning of that began to dawn on his followers.  If there is one part of life where we don’t even get to pretend we have a say, it is our mortality.  Jesus, however, carried through with what he had said would happen.  He rose.

            He rose from the dead.  When they went to find his body, it was gone.

Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb. So she ran and went to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved, and said to them, ‘They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid him.’ Then Peter and the other disciple set out and went towards the tomb. The two were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent down to look in and saw the linen wrappings lying there, but he did not go in. Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb. He saw the linen wrappings lying there, and the cloth that had been on Jesus’ head, not lying with the linen wrappings but rolled up in a place by itself.”  [John 20:1-7] 

He had become “Lord”.  He had mastered human life, and now he had mastered death.  And he let his followers know that he would be moving on to even greater glory.

“I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.” [John 20:17]

            Hear the good news: from there he continues to exercise lordship over life and death, not on his own behalf, but on ours.  The life that he lives, we also can live.  The troubles that he overcame in his life: poverty and fear and temptation and sorrow and pain and all of that, we, too, can overcome because of his power at work within us.  The dying that he faced with faith, even when he felt abandoned by God, we can face with confidence because he is Lord over the world in its entirety, and the eternal life that is open to all people is open because of him and through him, because he is Lord of life.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”  [John 3:16]

            Thank the Lord!  Amen.


[1] “Invictus” by William Ernest Hensley.

No comments:

Post a Comment