Saturday, April 18, 2015

"You Are Witnesses" - April 19, 2015

Luke 24:36-48


In John’s gospel, there’s the scene that we heard about last week, where the disciple Thomas doesn’t believe Jesus was really and truly raised from the dead until Jesus appears and offers to let him touch the places where he was wounded on the cross.  Luke takes the same story but it isn’t just Thomas who has this experience.  It’s all the disciples together, each and every one of them.

“While they were talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ They were startled and terrified, and thought that they were seeing a ghost. He said to them, ‘Why are you frightened, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? Look at my hands and my feet; see that it is I myself. Touch me and see; for a ghost does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.’ And when he had said this, he showed them his hands and his feet.”  [Luke 24:36-40]

I love the detail that Luke throws in, where Jesus offers them this proof of his own, physical being:

“He said to them, ‘Have you anything here to eat?’ They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate in their presence.”  [Luke 24:41-42]

Again, there’s a slightly different version of the same detail in John, where Jesus cooks the fish himself and they all eat it.

            For me, the way that those versions differ makes me feel better about taking the Bible seriously.  The gospels did not start out as literary compositions.  Luke set down what he could gather from various sources.  He tells us that.  We know from Paul’s letters that Luke was one of Paul’s travelling companions, so it’s not unlikely that some of his material came through Paul or others whom they met on their journeys.  Like any news reports, there are going to be witnesses who see or remember things differently, and a good reporter will not hide that.  Having four gospels, four accounts of the good news, side by side is a sign of reliability and honesty.  Jesus told his followers

“You are witnesses of these things.” [Luke 24:48]

They took him seriously, and shared what they knew for themselves.  They shared their experience of Jesus, and that has always been how faith has spread from one person to another to another to another.  There is no other way.

            What’s your story?  What witness do you have to offer?  Who needs to hear it, and how do you share it in the right way?  Those are not easy questions but they need to be asked.

            Your story may be dramatic or it may not.  It is your story.  It belongs to you.  It helps if you share it, though.  The spectacular ones may make better movie scripts.  A soldier named Francis returned to his hometown of Assisi after being held as a prisoner of war.  Unsurprisingly, he showed signs of post-traumatic stress disorder.  Fortunately for him, his father was rich and he could take time wandering around the countryside to recover a sense of peace and it was in the course of one of those long walks that he heard the voice of Jesus speak to him.  In 1736, a missionary named Wesley had had a really bad breakup with a woman named Sophie Hopkey.  She was the niece of the governor of Georgia, which was where they had met, and before it was over Wesley had to leave Savannah at night in a canoe and travel to South Carolina to get a ship back to London before it got any worse.  Back in London, he was a mess and questioned what he was doing with his life, when a friend dragged him along to a Bible study one night, and he had an experience of Jesus speaking to his heart about how we don’t live by anything but God’s grace and that that is enough.

            Those are great examples.  They’re not my story, though.  Me?  I heard about Jesus at Sunday School from a lady named Kitty Sakers and a bunch of her friends whose names escape me.  I saw the people around me take food to the South Side Center in Chester because people there needed it.  My friends and I talked about religion and faith as well as about “Mork and Mindy” and school.  At Pocono Plateau, I remember a campfire where we were invited to take Jesus more seriously and to stick around afterward and pray about it with the counselors if we wanted to.  I had a good teacher for confirmation class and in high school when we had a Sunday School teacher who was not so good, they found us another who helped us think for ourselves.  In college, I made some good friends who had similar backgrounds and we learned from each other.  Not very exciting, huh?  All the same, I can tell you that it convinced me that God’s grace is all around and that Jesus’ love is real, and that his life could not be bottled up in a grave.

            Your story: what is it?  Maybe there’s someone who needs to hear that Jesus is around for people whose troubles and challenges are those that everybody faces.  I suspect that it is utterly important to be a witness to the way that he helps out everyday people in everyday situations.  Jesus showed his followers that he was not a ghost.  The life that he helps us lead is not the life of ghosts, either, but the life of flesh-and-bones people.

            Those people have to be you and me.  There is no other way.  Jesus said,

“You are witnesses of these things.”  [Luke 24:48]

We have to be open enough to say, “I had to make a really hard decision at work today, and I’m not sure I made the best choice, but I prayed about it first.”  We have to be humble enough to admit, “I really messed things up at home last week, but my family understood.  I can only imagine what God goes through with me.”  We have to be confident enough to say, “This may sound crazy, but I have a feeling there’s something that God is asking me to do.”  We have to be aware enough of the people around us to say to someone hurting, “Hey, this is what helped me when I was in a similar place.”

            Rachel Held Evans writes about her faith life and those of her friends, and emphasizes that what matters is not packaging, but substance.  She puts it in terms of young adults, but it really applies across the board.  She says,

“… I’m often asked to speak to my fellow evangelical leaders about why millennials are leaving the church.
     Armed with the latest surveys, along with personal testimonies from friends and readers, I explain how young adults perceive evangelical Christianity to be too political, too exclusive, old-fashioned, unconcerned with social justice and hostile to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.
     I point to research that shows young evangelicals often feel they have to choose between their intellectual integrity and their faith, between science and Christianity, between compassion and holiness.
     I talk about how the evangelical obsession with sex can make Christian living seem like little more than sticking to a list of rules, and how millennials long for faith communities in which they are safe asking tough questions and wrestling with doubt.
     Invariably, after I’ve finished my presentation and opened the floor to questions, a pastor raises his hand and says, ‘So what you’re saying is we need hipper worship bands. …’
And I proceed to bang my head against the podium.”[1]

Sharing our faith is more than being trendy or polished or doctrinally exact.  It is more, too, than being on the right side of controversial issues or the cutting edge of social action.  It is being forthright about what Jesus has done for us, and open about the ways that he’s still working with us. 

“You are witnesses of these things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment