Thursday, March 29, 2018

“Traitors at the Table” - March 29, 2018 (Maundy Thursday)



Mark 14:17-25


Picture the most awkward meal you have ever attended.  It’s the dinner where you know that the host and hostess are talking about divorce.  It’s the child’s birthday party where the father not only is away on business but has forgotten to call and now it’s late wherever he is and you know the call isn’t coming.  It’s the wedding where the mother of the bride, who was never around when she was growing up, has appeared out of nowhere and expects the step-mother who did the hard work of parenting to step aside.  It’s the retirement dinner for the obnoxious department head that everybody just wants to see gone as soon as possible.  It’s the funeral lunch for the driver who died drunk or the addict who finally overdosed.

How about the Passover meal where the host announces that an unnamed guest has sworn out his arrest warrant?

“And when they had taken their places and were eating, Jesus said, ‘Truly I tell you, one of you will betray me, one who is eating with me.’ They began to be distressed and to say to him one after another, ‘Surely, not I?’ He said to them, ‘It is one of the twelve, one who is dipping bread into the bowl with me. For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that one by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that one not to have been born.’” [Mark 14:18-21]

Betrayal is an ugly thing.  It’s the abuse of faith.  It’s the conscious, knowing choice to take someone’s trust and turn it to your own advantage at their expense.  When it happens – and it happens constantly – it hurts.

            Christy Thomas, who blogs under the handle “The Thoughtful Pastor”, wrote a Holy Week meditation with the title “It’s Not the Blood: It’s the Betrayal” in which she asks:

“Who has experienced betrayal this year?

Well, Equifax handed over the personal and financial information on over 140,000,000 people to hackers. For years to come, those hackers will sell it to those who will use your information, stored on a system Equifax knew was not safe, to steal your identity, take out credit in your name, and destroy your financial life.

Facebook happily pocketed the profit after selling massive amounts of private information on you and your friends so members of one mega-rich family could use it in any way possible to ensure victory for their preferred candidate.

Elected politicians promised one thing and delivered another; leaders of various entertainment, political, religious and business fields were exposed as sleazy sexual predators; our children became terrified to go to school because they don’t know when the next assault rifle, legal for private citizens ONLY in the USA, would mow them down; banks insisted you buy products you didn’t need and pharmaceutical companies sent prices soaring on essential drugs, costing pennies to manufacture, that manage chronic and debilitating illnesses.

Our friends turned into “frenemies” with their gossip and backstabbing; we fought with our siblings and spouses; our children disappointed us and we disappointed our parents; the weeds just kept coming up. As has the temperature. We betrayed the earth; the earth is betraying us.

Finally, we all betrayed God. From the beginning of recorded history, we’ve shoved a collective fist into the face of God and said, ‘Thanks but no thanks. I’ll go my own way.’”[1]


            Betrayal hurts, and so does the awareness that we are all capable of it.  When Jesus made his announcement and spoiled the party, they didn’t look around and say, “Who is it?   I bet it’s James or John – they’re always claiming to be the greatest.”  “It must be Simon.  He’s a Zealot.”  “Matthew!  That skunk!  A tax collector never changes; he’s been on the Romans’ payroll all along.”  The disciples were close enough to Jesus, and he had taught them enough about human nature that they questioned themselves.  

“They began to be distressed and to say to him one after another, ‘Surely, not I?’” [Mark 14:19]

Judas may have been the one that Jesus had in mind, but as the night went on the disciples’ need to be reassured that they would never fail him got to be almost too much.  They kept pressing him and he finally gave in, but it wasn’t what they wanted to hear:

“And Jesus said to them, ‘You will all become deserters; for it is written,

“I will strike the shepherd,
   and the sheep will be scattered.” 

But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.’ Peter said to him, ‘Even though all become deserters, I will not.’ Jesus said to him, ‘Truly I tell you, this day, this very night, before the cock crows twice, you will deny me three times.’ But he said vehemently, ‘Even though I must die with you, I will not deny you.’ And all of them said the same.”
[Mark 14:27-31]

On some level, the disciples knew what was coming and what they would do.  They just couldn’t bear to admit it.  Not to Jesus.  Not to the others.  Not to themselves.

            I wonder if any of them caught that little throw-away line at that point:

“But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee.” [Mark 14:28]

It must have come back to somebody later.  Or maybe not, because after the resurrection Jesus would appear to them and tell them to go to Galilee and meet him.  That means he was trying to tell them that he wasn’t through with them.  As far as he was concerned, forgiveness was part of the deal.  It has to be.  We cannot live without it.

            An old friend of mine, who has been through a lot in life and has a lot to forgive, wrote to a group last week,

“I'm wondering about forgiveness. Sometimes depression stems from or is worsened by trauma -- especially the kind of trauma when someone does something bad to you or fails to do something for you that they're supposed to. Has anyone here ever forgiven someone for something unforgivable? What did it entail? How did it feel? Did it help?” 

Those are not idle questions.  Those would be worth asking Jesus.  Has he ever forgiven the unforgiveable, like, say, torture and a brutal execution?  What did it entail? 

“Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?” [Luke 23:34]

How did it feel?

“My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” [Mark 15:34]

Did it help?

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  I do not give to you as the world gives.  Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid.” [John 14:27]

            There’s no denying that forgiveness comes at a tremendous price.  It comes with a cost to the giver and to the receiver.  Someone, at some point, has to say, “Yes, I am ashamed to admit it, but I really am not the wonderful person I want you to think I am.  I have a lot more in common with Peter, and even Judas, than I want to look at, and sometimes I just cannot do that.  I understand how the rest of them, too, ran away.  That’s me at my best, even if I talk a good game.”  And Jesus has to say, and Jesus does say, “Yes.  I know.  If you were perfect, I wouldn’t have had to let myself be broken for you.  But I did it anyway.  And, so you don’t forget, here is a reminder.”


[1] http://www.patheos.com/blogs/thoughtfulpastor/2018/03/23/its-not-blood-its-betrayal-holy-week-reflections/#5vWEEaIKco5QqIgd.99


No comments:

Post a Comment